How to Complain

How to Complain

All our authorised entities (firms, businesses or practices) and CILEx Authorised Practitioners have a complaints procedure in place for resolving complaints.

If you need to make a complaint you should firstly complain directly to your legal services provider and they will take steps to resolve your complaint for you. Your legal services provider must respond to your complaint within 8 weeks. At the end of the complaints process, you will receive a decision.

When you first ask your legal services provider to do work for you your legal services provider must explain, in writing, the following:

  • Your right to complain if something goes wrong.
  • How to complain.
  • Who to complain to.
  • How to contact the appropriate legal regulator.
  • Your right to complain to the Legal Ombudsman.
  • How to make a complaint to the Legal Ombudsman.
  • The timescales involved when you make your complaint.

Your legal services provider will also give you the name and website address of an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) provider and whether the legal services provider intends to use the services of an ADR provider. However, there is no obligation on either you or the legal services provider, to use the services of an ADR provider. You can find more detailed information about ADR by viewing the fact sheet published by Citizens Advice.

Will I be charged for making a complaint?

You should never be charged for making a complaint, whether you are complaining about your legal services provider and the service you received; or complaining to the Legal Ombudsman, or making a complaint to CILEx Regulation.