Immigration Advice and Services

Immigration Advice and Services 

We award immigration practice rights.

Under the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 it is a criminal offence for a person to provide immigration advice and services unless they are regulated in accordance with section 84 of the Act. That section states that a person may be regulated by a designated professional body or by the Office of Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC). CILEx was one of the designated professional bodies. CILEx, as an approved regulator, is now referred to as a designated qualifying regulator, under the Legal Services Act 2007.  

Qualification as a CILEx Immigration Practitioner

We have a qualification scheme for Chartered Legal Executives seeking to provide immigration advice and services.

You can qualify to become a CILEx Immigration Practitioner if you:

  • Are a Chartered Legal Executive.
  • Can demonstrate your competence in immigration work. 
The qualification scheme enables you to provide immigration advice and services through a regulated entity. 

The application process

There is an application form that you must complete. We have published an Immigration Practice Rights Handbook and rules to help you complete the form. The application process has been designed to enable you to demonstrate your competence in immigration and asylum work. Competence means:

  • Knowledge of immigration law.
  • Skills in client care, legal research and immigration practice.
  • Experience in immigration practice.

You must provide immigration services through a regulated entity. We are a regulator of entities. If you want to seek regulation of your entity by us you must also demonstrate competence in practice management and accounts. See our Applying to be Regulated page for more details.

DBS Check

All applicants for independent Practice Rights are required to complete a new Standard DBS check for CILEx Regulation. Further details for obtaining the check can be found here.


The non-refundable fee for this application is £450.

Call now on 01234 845 770

Please get in touch with all your Practice Rights questions. We're ready to take your call.

> Or click here to send us an email

Immigration Advice and Services

Find out more about providing Immigration Advice and Services.

> Download more information about Immigration Advice and Services